The stand needed to be designed to hold a number of Ruben’s Tubes, fit through a standard door, fold up for portability, and act as a wind shield for optimum flame viewing. Originally, the stand was planned for 5 Ruben’s Tubes, however in order to fit through the standard door while still having a safe… Continue reading Ruben’s Tube Stand Design
When testing, I found that when the vocal lines are sung, the different intonations of the voice affected how clear the standing waves appeared within the Ruben’s tubes. To counter this, I ended up creating midi versions of each resonant frequency line in Sibelius (taken from here and here). Because the recording of the final… Continue reading Playback through the tubes
In order to learn the parts better, I ended up putting each vocal line into sibelius, using colours to represent each harmony line found here (different to the resonant frequency line). Circled notes refer to the red line – notes refer to the orange line + notes refer to the yellow line ^ notes refer… Continue reading Full Score – Piano and Vocals
In order to translate these resonant frequencies into a system to learn the vocal lines better, I drew over the system visualised here with the notes I would need to sing. Click the image to see the full break down of the vocal lines in the four tubes. Full Score Breakdown
As mentioned here, the planning of the harmonies had to pay special consideration to which tubes were not in use, thus limiting the available notes to use for the harmonic lines. In a previous calculation, I determined which resonant frequencies the main melody vocal line fell on. In this updated version of the document, I… Continue reading Melody & Harmonies: Vocal Line Resonant Frequency Breakdown
Initially I wanted to include all the instruments in the Ruben’s tubes, so I started figuring out the notes which would be used and which tube they corresponded to for the piano and bass. What I didn’t think about was the use of multiple notes in the tubes at one time. Because of this, I… Continue reading Composing to a resonant frequency set
This was our initial pressure test. We later followed this up with a soapy water test to ensure no leaks were present in the system.